Ads

Search the web

Google

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Chapter 40: The Hardest Part

Keshia hated hospitals. She hated the colors, the smell, the constant coming and going. She was all alone in a small waiting room trying to be strong; hoping if she didn't cry, it didn't make it real, that she'd wake up somewhere else. Anywhere so long as she'd be in Nathan's arms.

Two hours. She had been waiting two long excruciating hours when the door to the operating room finally opened. A young nurse stepped out. Keshia ran towards her.

"How is he? How's my husband?"

"I'm sorry. I'm not allowed to give you any information on the patient's condition, it's the hospital's policy. You'll have to wait for the doctor."

"Which doctor? I don't see any. This is a hospital and yet, I don't see any doctors. I barely see nurses! Please help me!"

Keshia was screaming. She was partly mad but mostly scared and just emotionally unstable. The nurse could feel her distress. She took her hand and invited her to take a seat.

"Listen, as soon as the surgery's over, I can assure you the doctor will come speak with you. In the meantime, you should get some sleep. You look exhausted. It may take another hour or more. I'll get you a glass of water and see if I can find a room where you can rest.

"No, thanks. You are very kind. I'd rather wait here."


Keshia opened her eyes. She didn't recall falling asleep. Graham was standing in the waiting room, his back against a wall.


"I arrived as soon as I could. I've been here about 10 minutes. I haven't heard anything yet. How is he?"

"I don't know. He's still in surgery. Why won't they tell me anything?"


Graham sat next to Keshia; she leaned her head on his shoulder as he gently stroked her hair. Keshia thought of how Nathan would do that whenever she was feeling low. Half asleep, half awake, she locked lips with Graham. Within a second; realizing what had just happened, Keshia jumped out of her seat.


"Sorry, Graham, I...sorry."


She ran outside, it was raining but she didn't care. She badly needed some air. She didn't mean to kiss Graham, for a moment she thought he was Nathan and everything was alright; her wish had come true. Keshia quietly fell on her knees and cried. Did it count with all the rain? She couldn't even tell her tears apart from the raindrops. She had promised to be strong, but that was the hardest part of it all. She got herself back together just as Graham arrived.

"I thought you were Nathan; I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it Keshia. Here, put on my jacket and come inside. You are freezing, Nathan wouldn't forgive me if I didn't look after you. The doctor asked for you; he is out of surgery."

8 comments:

Carmel Beauty said...

what happened?

Caroline said...

Sorry about that. I hit post by accident and it published a blank post. As simple as that. Here's the latest chapter.

Carmel Beauty said...

The suspense is killing me!! :-)

Nic said...

When will the next post be? I can't wait to find out how nathan's doing.

Caroline said...

Ouf, I was forgetting I had to post. Stay tuned, new post on the way this weekend. 01-18

Nic said...

You forgot that you had to post?

I've got a question but I don't want you to consider it as a complaint. Why don't you write anymore or not that often? Are you too busy or just tired of writing? I'm just curious.

Caroline said...

Hey Nic, I'd say it's a little bit of both. Busy and tired. I had a lot of very important decision to take regarding my future and work is draining a lot of energy. I tend to think I've already posted and realize I didn't.

Probably because I have it all figured out in my head. Too bad, my brain does not come with a usb plug and software that could automatically transfer the post on the computer. LOL

I am trying to post once a week but it's not so easy. :( Might be once every two weeks. I'm not giving up on this blog just yet. I'm kinda still having fun writing it.

Well, I better leave the comment area and get back to the post if I want to have it ready on time.

Caroline said...

Back online!!! Sorry, mouse and internet prob! Anyone know about Murphy's law? I really wanted to post before midnight. Since my problems occurred after all the stores were closed, I had to get creative. So after some soldering, the mouse is back to normal and the post is on it's way. I'll even post another one during the week. :)