Ads

Search the web

Google

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Chapter 42: Insanity

"Well, if we can enter a plea of insanity, you would be much better off. Right now you might be accused of attempted murder and charges could be added"

"The question is: I am the one who pulled the trigger? Don't they have a forensic team working to figure out what happened?"

"Ms. Lane, please, you have to listen to me. You could be facing one count of attempted murder on the person of Alice McCarth. You could be facing more charges for Nathan Long. If the preliminary hearing doesn't go well for us; and I doubt it will, I believe you should enter a plea of insanity.."

"Obviously, you are the one not listening to me. Alice doesn't deserve to live I don't need your services anymore. I know a far better lawyer."



"You must be joking, right?"

"Victoria, please forget my number. Forget I ever existed. I never ever wish to hear from you. Oh, no, sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm actually hoping the last I ever hear from you is when I find out you've been locked up and they've thrown away the key."

"Gary, gary! I need a lawyer."

"Yes, and a good one, I'll add."


Gary hung up. The nerves of that woman. He had just been interviewed by the detective and was heading to the hospital.



"How's Nathan?"

"He was badly injured. The doctors don't know if he'll make it. Keshia is in the room with him now. Mandy is with Alice. She's feeling guilty because she thinks Victoria came because she provoked her. I don't know how to convince her otherwise."

"What a mess. How is Keshia holding on?"

"She's a little out of it. Trying to be strong but it's getting harder to keep up the act. Also I have to keep Alice from telling Keshia she talked to Victoria. Timing isn't quite perfect."

"Speaking of which, Victoria called me asking if I could be her lawyer."

"Is she out of her mind?"

"Frankly, I think she is. Any good lawyer will tell her to plead insanity; although she just fired her lawyer for telling her to plead insanity."

"She's not getting out for a while then, is she?"

"She'd need much more than a lawyer to get out of this one. A miracle worker probably couldn't help her. Graham, I know this is not the time or the place, but you should look for counsel just in case..."

"I don't understand, why?"

"I can't assure your defense because I am a potential witness. If the police investigation proves you fired the gun that injured Nathan; they could prosecute you."

"Would they?"

"I highly doubt it but it's very much a possibility."


Graham was about to ask Gary another question when he heard a code blue call to the ICU. Keshia stepped back in the waiting room.


"They told me to step out. Please God, he has to be alright."

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Sorry, I had to wait 'til the weekend and sunday to top it off for this post. And believe it or not, this blog was high up on my priority list. Hopefully, I get more time to breathe next week and I'll be able to post sooner. Also end the wait with Nathan's fate. ;)

Carmel Beauty said...

What in the world is going on? I hope that graham didn't shot that gun and nathan will make it.

Caroline said...

Already the 11th. Sorry to all. I have "2 jobs" for the moment and it's hard to keep up. I'll do my best to post this week. Take care.

rosecheeks18 said...

is this blog done?

Momma 2.0 said...

Anxiously waiting!!!! Please post soon.

Caroline said...

I'm sorry, I always seem to get caught up in something. The blog is not done. I really wish I had some time to post. I guess I'll have to type from work. ;) I'll hide when no one's watching. ;) Inspiration is not lacking I know what's coming next and I know you're all dying to know. I'll just have to ask for a little more patience. Sorry about the wait! ;)