Ads

Search the web

Google

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Chapter 28: Taking Control

Alice slowly opened her eyes. Her vision was blurry. She had no idea where she was or how she ended up there. A familiar voice spoke her name. As her surroundings became clearer, the memories came flooding in.


“What are you doing here, Graham?”

“I just needed to make sure you were alright. You are at the hospital, Alice.”

“Yeah, well, I still don’t need you around. You can go, free of guilt. You never should have come. Shouldn’t you be with Victoria and watch her gloat over how she won you back?”

“Alice, this is not you…it’s not that simple and you know it. I couldn’t be with Victoria tonight. When the rescue team called…I was just so scared. I don’t know what I would’ve done if anything had happened to you.”

“Graham, just because I had an accident after I left the office doesn’t make you responsible. I was doing great when I left and I’m still great. I just want you out of my life. I guess I forgot to take you off the emergency number list. This won’t happen again. Now please leave.”

“Give me one more minute. There’s something you should know… I love you, Alice. Probably more than I love Vicky, more than I ever will. I cheated on Victoria with her best friend, Keshia.

We promised to keep it a secret and I felt so bad that I proposed to Vicky not long after. I guess I thought it would put my conscience at ease. It didn’t and I found myself trying to please her more and more. It was as if I had decided I would spend my whole life making it up to her even if she didn’t know.

Vicky left me and yet, I was still feeling bad and wouldn’t let her go. Then I finally understood; I was free. She had given me my freedom back. You had always been there but it’s like I had never noticed before. With Vicky gone, I felt like a different man. I could start over.

I never meant to hurt you. Only when she came back and told me how she knew all about Keshia and me from day one, I…I started to feel like I owed her all over again. I left you but never stopped thinking about you. Whether you believe me or not, I’m leaving Vicky. Tonight.”


Alice was confused. It all seemed like some sort of love triangle. Keshia had approached her earlier and said she wanted to help. Now she was finding out she slept with Graham. She looked around the room. Her purse was on a chair and next to it a piece of paper she didn’t have before meeting Keshia. Her number; Graham had probably seen it.

Nothing made sense. Felt like she was the circus’ clown. She had to figure out the nature of the current relationship between Keshia and Graham. This brutal change of heart didn’t make much sense.


“Graham, you do what you want to do. You and me, it’s over. That’s how it is and how it will be.”

“I promise I won’t give up.”


After a long time letting it flow, Graham finally felt it was time to take back the control of his own life. He wanted to be with Alice. Everything he told her he meant it. Her accident made him realize he didn’t care for life without her. Keshia number was a warning sign that if he didn’t act now, Alice could definitely turn his back on him. Forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this story, but like every other person, I just wish you would post more often.

RJ

Alyssa said...

Ohh! I wonder if Alice will really be able to stay away, and if Graham is serious about dropping Vicky. Oh, wow! The drama! Oh, it'd serve him right if Alice really was strong and gave him the cold shoulder! Shoot, she should go find someone a whole lot better!
Great post as always, I'm with RJ- why the heck don't you just quit your job and forget life, and just write! Post everyday and twice on Tuesday. ::Sarcasm dripping:: Sheesh. Oh well, can you blame 'em? They just love us! Who wouldn't want more?!

Caroline said...

Lol, you're cracking me up Jennifer! I would definitly post more often but it's not as easy as it looks, Jennifer put it well. What she doesn't say though is she's an amazing prolific writer. You should check her blogs also RJ, she updates quite often. Another reason why I don't post more, I'm busy reading. ;)